Holistic Education Centers
MADURAI SEED has developed Holistic Education Centers (Arangam) which help to bring Educational development to the children and young people of Madurai.
There are 5 Arangams based on the age group of educational levels in the formal schools and colleges. These centers (Arangam) are for the school and college going children and young people. These centers are functioning after school hours every day. Students attend the centers regularly, where they get educational guidance and support through the volunteers of MADURAI SEED.
The students are also participating in extra curricular activities, saving schemes, life skills development and personality development activities of MADURAI SEED.
An initiative to create new, joyful world for the children
Objectives & Activities
- Organizing 4 holistic education centers for children in the age groups of 6-9, 10-13, and 14-17.
- Providing good learning environment, free from media with adequate light for all children.
- Educating the community in the noisy atmosphere which is a big hurdle for the children and young people during examination.
- Providing additional support on basic learning skills like listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Improving their academic excellence in all subjects especially in English, Math and Science.
- Developing life skills and personality development skills
- Providing extra curricular activities to enhance the holistic development of the children
- Providing exposure visits to extend their knowledge and experience
Vandugal Arangam creates joyful learning environment for the young children belonging to 1st standard to 4th standard between the ages 6 - 9 years). "Vandugal" in Tamil means "Children with joy and boundless freedom". "Vandugal" come to the centre at 6 pm to get support for their school studies till 8pm, every day. They are being taught Tamil, English, and Mathematics in a play way method that they prefer. There are 4 volunteers to take care of these children. A minimum of 20 children are enrolled in one class per volunteer.1 Animator is there at the centre to co-ordinate the volunteers.
This supplementary education program is specifically meant for the children from 5th to 8th standards (10 years to 13 years). These children who are so called "Vandugal" are to be deep rooted in education. Therefore this center is named as "vergal" (meaning = roots). At this stage, most of the children are dropping out from schools. Thus to remove the bitterness in education among the Vergal and to support their education they are given special attention on Tamil, English, Maths, Science and Social Science. The centre helps them in their studies from 6 pm - 8.30 pm. There are 4 Volunteers and 1 Animator, looking after these centers.
"Kanavugal" means dreams. This age group (14 years to 17 years) of children reach adolescent stage, who need proper guidance and counseling for better future. They are studying 9th std to 12th std. The supplementary education centre for these children is called as "Kanavugal Arangam". This Kanavugal Arangam gives solid support to encourage them in their studies, to plan for their higher studies, to plan for their future, so as to achieve in their lives. The centre helps them from 6 pm to 9 pm every day in their studies as well as to overcome their fear of exam and to face the competition in the outside world. The semi- skilled students are given special care with extra hours of studies and trainings. There are 6 volunteers and 1 Animator, helping them in every possible ways.
KAMALA NAGAR ARANGAM
"Kamala Nagar Arangam" is refers the place where the center functions. The children are studying 1st std to 10th std (5 years to 15 years). This arangam functions in open space with the help of street lights. This Arangam gives firm support to encourage them in their studies and to plan for their higher studies. The centre helps them from 6 pm to 8 pm every day in their studies. There are 4 volunteers and 1 Animator helping the children in many ways.
Young People's Center
In Making Use of Learning Life Skills, Social Leadership, and Responsibilities.
Objectives & Activities
- Organizing an Education Center for the young people of 18 years and above to help their higher studies.
- Providing good learning environment, free from Media with adequate light and air for all the young people enrolled in HEC.
- Educating the community in noisy atmosphere which is a big hurdle for the young people while studying
- Organizing classes regarding competitive exams
- Providing scholarship assistance for higher studies
- Motivating young people to take part in the educational development of the children
- Developing vocational skills
"Thedalgal" (search for passionate things) Arangam is for social governance in life skills trainings. This Thedalgal Arangam helps the Young People who are in the colleges and technical schools. The students are provided with personality development program and activities for which the centre actively works for 6 days in a week. The management services are done by one Animator every day from 2 pm to 11 pm. Accommodation facilities are available for the Young People who stay at night. This Arangam helps them for self studies and group studies.
MADURAI SEED offers daily evening tuition in free of charge through Holistic Education Centers - taught by college volunteers and other working volunteers. These are open to all interested children and young people regardless of their religious or social, economic background. In the year 2009-2010, 402 children and 30 young people have contacted & utilized MADURAI SEED.
Currently, 27 young people are attending college studies. 3 are doing Post Graduate Courses; 5 are doing engineering studies, 19 are Under Graduate students. The 400+ Children and 27 young people are all very happy indeed to have MADURAI SEED. Not only have their marks and their exam success improved dramatically, but they also are now demonstrating their other talents: The children and young people are growing in self-confidence and self-belief.
For the girls especially MADURAI SEED is very significant .when a girl is educated, she has a far greater chance of finding a career and able to earn her own living, and of therefore breaking out of the closed circle of this underprivileged life.